Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Bus Ride


"Please nooo!" These were the words that came out of my mouth when I found out I would be taking a bus from Great Falls, Montana to Rexburg, Idaho. The idea of traveling through grungy Montana bus stops, being surrounded by people I didn't know, and not knowing where to go at each stop was unpleasant and all together quite frightening. But nonetheless, I boarded a bus Tuesday afternoon with a little bit of excitement for something new and different.
   While sitting in the bus stop waiting to board the bus that would take me to Butte and then on to Rexburg, I sat talking to my dad. I felt a little betrayed that my parents would do such a thing to me, but I understood that if I wanted to get back to Rexburg I would have to make some sacrifices of my own. While looking around the room at my soon to be fellow travelers, my dad leaned over to me and said, "I once took a bus from San Antonio, Texas to here and swore to myself that I would never let my wife and kids travel on a bus." I simply looked at my father and gave a disbelieving laugh to what he had just said me. The thought of what he said wasn't comforting in the least bit.
  As we sat there a woman in her early 20's walked up to me and asked me where I was traveling too, I replied that I would be going to Rexburg, she then asked me if her younger sister could sit with me for the ride to Butte and if I could make sure she got to her next bus alright. The young girl was in her teens and looked outwardly the way I felt inside, terrified at the idea of traveling by herself and with the character of those that would accompany us on the bus. Her destination was different then my own but I felt confident that I could help her to her next bus and then board my own when we arrived in Butte. Sharing little conversation we began our separate journeys together.
   We arrived in Butte and I help the young girl find her bus and told her that her next stop was home. Wishing her luck, I then continued on to find my own bus. I was glad for the opportunity to be able to focus on someone else, it helped me to relax. I found my bus without difficulty and I gave my luggage to the driver and waited to board. As I stood by the bus a woman walked up to me and asked if I could help her lift some things on to the bus. She then began to talk to me and asked some questions about where I was going and what I was studying in school. As we talked I started to realize the reason I was taking the  bus to Rexburg. This woman was an answer to my prayers, her name was Sydney.
    After boarding the bus, Sydney and I began to talk again and she shared her story with me and I was amazed at this woman’s life. Sixty years old, never married, and a member of the LDS church Sydney shared stories and advice with me that cannot be replaced by anything. And just think what I would have missed had I not taken that bus to Rexburg. It was a neat experience. Before we parted she gave me her mailing address and told me to share the ending of my story with her. 
     I never would have thought that my answers would be found in a little bus station in Butte, Montana. But believe it or not they were and I'm so grateful for experience. Our Father in Heaven has a plan for each of us and tailors our journeys to what He knows we need and not what we think we need and want. Although, the answers don’t always come in the moment we want them, in His way and according to His timing, they will always come. 
    And that's my "little" spiel/dilemma for the day. 


3 comments:

  1. I took a bus from Bozeman to Butte to Salt Lake and I know how you probably were feeling. I'm glad you were able to meet a wonderful person and learn great things from her. :)

    ReplyDelete