Saturday, May 19, 2012

"gymnastic struggle"???


   Jan. 31, 2012
   
      Lately, I have been stumbling across a lot of past conference talks and articles, that have to do with reading. Not only has it said it's important to read but that we should read from the "best books". I decided at the beginning of the year that I was going to read more then I have in the past, because honestly I do like to read. There are so many things to be learned and imagined through great books.
     During, my Christmas break a friend of mine challenged me to read a book while I was at home. I took that challenge and chose to read, "The Secret Life of Bees" it turned out to be a very good read. I learned so much from it and as a result I'm going to  challenging myself to be a little bit more confident in myself, control my anger better, and love those around me more. There are lots of lessons to be learned from others’ lives and their thoughts. I sometimes wish that I could articulate my words better so that I could better share, the things that I know and believe, in a more understandable manner. Just like those that have shared their knowledge through writing.
     So, in the past I have found that it has been difficult for me to stay awake while reading books. I find that I read an entire page without comprehending a word. For my institute class this week we were asked to read an article by Elder Holland and the first paragraph read, 
          "The key to reading any book is staying awake. That means, of course, that you will try to keep your eyes open and some reasonable portion of your blood circulating. But for real reading it means much more than that. Reading which will give you any return on your investment will be an exercise—Walt Whitman called it a gymnastic struggle —in which your mental and spiritual muscles are stretched and strengthened forever. This kind of reading means staying alert, attentive, and actively involved as you recreate the book in your own mind, page by page. Writing a good book is very hard work. Reading it well is not an easy thing either."
    Reading for me is a "gymnastic struggle" but not in the positive way that Walt Whitman described. Lets just say it's nothing less of a few face plants into the mats. That being said, I resolve to make my reading experiences a more positive "gymnastic struggle" that I will grow from. Just think how smart I'm going to be. If I apply this to my schooling, oh boy, there is so much I'm going learn and know. Here I go.... 



1 comment:

  1. Oooh. The Secret Life of Bees is really good!! Great post Em!

    ReplyDelete