Thursday, December 1, 2011

"If I didn't have you"

There is something about music that evokes certain emotions in me. I am grateful for music in my life and the things that I feel through music. I was listening to a song earlier today and it made me think of a number of things in just the 3:30 that it took to listen to it. The song that I was listening to was, “If I didn’t have you.” From the soundtrack of Monsters, Inc. Throughout the song Sulley and Mike, the main characters of the movie, sing about the value of their friendship. They express their love and appreciation for each other with a light hearted mood simply saying, “I wouldn’t have nothing, if I didn’t have you”. As I was listening to this song I thought of the many people in my life that I love and how I really would have nothing if I didn’t have them.
My parents are two of the most remarkable people that I know. They have taught me so much and set a foundation in my life to grow on; they have given me everything from day one and have taught me the true meaning of love. They are an example to me in my life and I want to implement their example into my life and into my future family. 
 I have 9 siblings that have each taught me something and I have learned so many skills from each one of them, without even just one of them in my life I would not be the person that I am today. I am so grateful for the family that I have and the love that I have for each one of them. 

                I also thought about the many friends that I have in my life. As a college student I am living away from home and don’t have the protection of my family or the convenience of family members there for me at all times, as I have in the past. It’s important that we surround ourselves with good friends. At this point in my life “I wouldn’t have anything” if I didn’t have the friends that I do. They have influenced me so much and are the people that are there for me when I am in need. They build me up and teach new things, whether it is of something secular or spiritual, they give me good counsel and help me with my difficulties. I am so grateful for the friends that I have in my life and the incredible people that they are and who they are helping me to become.
                And last but not least my Savior and Redeemer, this is where I truly “wouldn’t have nothing,” if I didn’t have my friend and brother Jesus Christ. He has given me the ultimate gift and I am so grateful for the constant love that He has for me, that I know I can turn to Him at any time and the things that I know to be true through Him.
                In the last part of the song; “I wouldn’t know where to go, I wouldn’t know what to do, Cause [I] know it’s true, I wouldn’t have nothing if I didn’t have…you.”

2 comments: